Poplar Ridge & Penhold School Attendance Boundaries for September 2014
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is Chinook’s Edge School Division No. 73 changing school attendance boundaries?
In September 2014, a new Chinook’s Edge high school will open in Penhold and River Glen will no longer operate as a Chinook’s Edge school.
This is part of long-term planning directed by Alberta Education.
2. How has feedback from parents been collected during the past year?
- October 2011 phone calls
- November 2011 public forum
- March 2012 phone calls
- May 2012 online survey
- May 2012 phone calls
- Ongoing email contacts
3. What was the overall response to these boundaries when they were originally proposed?
Feedback was primarily positive. Generally, parents are happy and satisfied with the proposed boundaries and their children’s designated
schools for 2014.
4. What were the three most common requests and/or advice from parents?
- Grant special consideration for families (within 2 miles of a new boundary) to continue attending their current schools.
- Provide transitional transportation for Poplar Ridge students between now and 2014.
- Minimize bus ride times – a general theme of less than one hour.
We appreciate this feedback and will work collaboratively with parents as we transition.
5. Why was it proposed that Poplar Ridge students attend Sylvan Lake schools for grades 7-12?
We received a strong and consistent message from parents that Poplar Ridge students should be allowed to remain with their classmates
after grade six. After considering bus ride times and distances from Poplar Ridge areas, the Board proposed the boundaries shown above
and feedback was positive.
6. Why are the 2014 school attendance boundaries being defined now?
One of the most frequently heard requests from parents was for the Board to announce 2014 school attendance boundaries prior to the end of
this school year to allow parents to plan for the future.
7. Where can I find more information on schools in Poplar Ridge, Sylvan Lake and Penhold?
Please visit Our Schools for a listing of Chinook's Edge Schools.
8. I have questions about transportation for my children. Who should I contact?
Please contact our Transportation department at 1-403-227-7072.